Is Process really working to Innovate great Made In India Products

In the emerging product fever in IT space, would process really help or is it hurdle to innovate things faster..
I ask this question because, we see most of the Decision Makers are happy with the known process and culture and they are too static to change the process... because it is their people issue.. (many of their people are not ready to change when the process improvements happen very rapidly)..
e.g PM's are happy to count more bugs and count time on how fast they get reduced.. but not why so many bugs in the first place.. or how many more bugs would be haven been produced because of firefighting approach of fixing issues..
I am sure.. some of our observations may look orthogonal to many.. but trust me.. we have seen many products fail.. not because there is no opportunity out there.. but it is wrong engineering practices and culture.. which is set as standard by services business. Or because many feel that.. India has great engineering talent.. all may be true.. However that is getting reflected right.. in the Code/Engineering of IT products..
Pl. provide the views related to your products.. and how much the process has really lead to innovations in IT engineering

Regards,
Raja Nagendra Kumar,
C.T.O
www.tejasoft.com

Edited Sat, Jan 21, 2012 3:04 PM

Replies to this Topic

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikemyatt/2011/12/19/this-one-leadership-quality-will-make-or-break-you/

Only one process required for Innovation.LEADERSHIP which validates itself every day. 

No process please. PM can do nothing as he is simply a plumber. 

Wow.. Rajendra.. Very nice reference. Thank you.

Raja Nagendra:

Marketing people and many other people say that products fail because of lack of good marketing strategy. You are attributing all the failures to lack of engineering process. Raja is saying it is all leadership and nothing else.

Can anyone experiment three different organization one focusing only on leadership, one on process and one on marketing and find out which one works? Do you think the best leader can win without empowering their team with process and without great marketing strategy? Do you think 100s of great programmers (individually) can work together to produce wonderful products without following a process? Can anyone quote one single example?

It is extremely hard for me visualize about delivering excellence in projects without embracing the project management process. I cannot think of building a great team without embracing good talent and learning management process. I do not think I can ever deliver outstanding customer support without a good support process.

Who is important in a relay race? The person doing the first lap or the last lap or the two in between?

The key is implementation.

How quickly an idea can be implemented across large number of users.

The botton line is revenue generation.

Hari Nair

Edited Sun, Dec 25, 2011 6:13 AM

Hi Lakshman, 

I am sure, your  thoughts on this would help to take things to next level..

Lakshman, few corrections.. I never meant others parts such a marketing strategy, project management etc.. are not important.. My  alertness to the forum was based on my experience in seeing why may products fail... and of them most of them ignore one or other... with the assumption that.. they have no impact..

>Process really working to Innovate great ..

It was meant to say is indian companies safe gaurding them self on the name of following process.. or are they really working to innovate to produce excellence.. similarly project management (in my example.. pm's are happy about counting the huge number of bugs and counting them reduce and raise again..)..

>Who is important in a relay race?

To me I think every one are impartant at every time.. it can't be realy race... to say if engineering excellence then marketing take over to get the business..

However, in practical IT, systems are ignoring each other, hence each one is working in opposite direction of excellence to kill entire system..

For eg. how can a marketing strategy help you from selling  obsolete technology product.. nor how can marketing team sell bug and less feature product..for ever...

My views are based on practical IT happenings which we as indians have adopted on the name of IT business...

Edited Tue, Feb 7, 2012 7:02 PM

Hi Hari Nair,

> The key is implementation.

> How quickly an idea can be implemented across large number of users.

> The botton line is revenue generation.

For the above points, could you pl, share how does practical IT is truely understand in numbers.. meaning of each of the above..

e.g key is implementation..

In this point, do you really seeing process really helping innovations.. for valuable implementation..

> How quickly an idea can be implemented across large number of users.

How do define quickly.. and how do u define large number of users, specially when many product start ups on at their evolution stage..

> The botton line is revenue generation.

How to convert this to a process.. so that revenues predictable..is the current process we are following making people really accountable  when revenues are generated or not generated..

Regards,

Nagendra

Is Process really working to Innovate great Made In India Products

If we wish to respect the theme started by thread initiator, then we must not overlook two key words - INNOVATION and Made in India.

Both require strong leadership skills at No 1 level and shared by the close top level teams. Engg, design etc are nuts and bolts. Implemetation and revenue and profit generation - in what way connected to the theme???Not clear on mix up.

Failure of HP, DEC, RIM and scores of biggies global leaders are never due to any reason other than Leadership, Maturity, Ability to see and work out-of box, 2 steps extra.....all stragtegic issues.

5-50 headcount cos are getting global recognition, amidst our own Nasscom Emerge community - certainly not based on engg skills or process skills, but strong top level leadership, maturity and speed.  

Great "Made in India" Px are those which have market scalability and easy user acceptance. Success comes when positioned in the proper market place smartly. Not based on niceness and perfect engineering. Such factors are not the outlook of PMs, QA or Process engineers, however agile they are. Self certification of Innovation is the biggest danger of the Px community. 

Edited Sun, Dec 25, 2011 9:34 PM

@ALL Its been a week more than year now I have been this forum and very disappointed with lack of putting in execution the saying "Action speaks Louder than Words" that include my self as a "Individual"because we are giving more focus what "Technology can  do to Mankind" Rather than

" Mankind can do to technology"..........Please do let me know of all thoughts against or for to my thought process but do not stay neutral...........

Profile Image for Ankur L. Ankur
  • Tue, Jan 10, 2012 8:42 PM

I think we need to look outside in. We need to simply innovation - make it easy and adoptable. 

In this regards Eric ries and Steve blanks work on product validation and the lean approach can dramatically reduce idea to product time and costs.

Ankur

Process is a must for sustainable growth in  any business.  You may not require a process to innovate. However if the team size is big and you have limited funding (unlike certain billion dollar internet companies), you can not even run a R&D unit without SOP.  Next big question could be 'go to market'. Without process, this is 100% going to fail. If a great product has no market visibility, what could be the identity of the team...quite obvious!

I would say there is no problem with "known process and culture". Why do we change something just for a change?  Can we dream software without bugs? I think, No. Somebody can count the bugs, at least if the bugs are getting recorded in Bugzilla. However, at the same time, PM shall show the leadership to analyze the trend and try to pull the root cause of % increase in bugs and explore the reasons - can it be poor coding, lack of clarity in requirements, absence of proper testing etc.

Success will embrace the best products and services...we just need to put our best effort in a consistent manner. To ensure consistency, we require a process to follow.

We have a long way to go. Visionary leadership, speed in execution, consistency, ownership, empowered team, ...all matters.

Edited Mon, Feb 6, 2012 11:06 PM

> Process is a must for sustainable growth in any business.

Agreed.. Could you pl. add more thoughts which apply during the initial stages of business, where a product of business value yet to be built

>I would say there is no problem with "known process and culture"

True ideally, could you pl. talk more on how is this being used in Indian IT..  Our observation is due to Services success,  most IT organisations, exploit process for Business interest, rather than trying to be innovative

>Can we dream software without bugs?

Yes, I can provided, bugs are not paid for, by client..at least bug count can drastically reduced due to competant coding

>To ensure consistency, we require a process to follow.

True, to convert innovation to mass scale business, process is must

> No. Somebody can count the bugs, at least if the bugs are getting recorded in Bugzilla.

True, however most PM's leave at counting them and taking pride saying that we fixed so many.. Could you tell me one company, which is making sincere efforts in saying we have lest bugs and regressions due to our innovative nature.. in such case, do they feel safeguarded from their business interest...  I do see the issue with clients too.. some clients sign for returns to provider based on number of bugs fixed.. :)

Frankly speak I am both the sides business and technology side.. and have no clues to fix these observations..

>Visionary leadership, speed in execution, consistency, ownership, empowered team, ...all matters.

In this context, do you see current process can limit the results which can be produced by visionaries.. If yes, kindly add your thoughts on how to improve the process and system mindset 

>Why do we change something just for a change?

True, however change is the need if the innovation can reduce the efforts, cost and increase total value..

In the world, you already know change is constant..nothing is perfect.. nothing is bad.. but through set of changes.. things can pushed towards next improvements..

>Without process, this is 100% going to fail.

Even with Process we see 100% failures.. however peoples chairs are intact :) Pl. observe how many software products fail to give business results..

My thoughts are based on how we are adopting the process currently - for being innovative and to have measurable super value & results...

Edited Tue, Feb 7, 2012 7:01 PM

Innovation is trigger. Based on INNOVATIVE piece of idea, certain acts in form of TRANSFORMATION takes place.

Process is essential for transformation consolidation. Not for transformation per se , as that flows like viral or like water flow, with its own pattern which can be called as INNOVATIVE.

Chasing process for innovation is waste of time and efforts. Follow Vivek Wadhwa, great guru from USA. You can track him on twitter.

Nice take away -  'Chasing process for innovation is waste of time and efforts'

Is that the reason why we are not innovating much here in India?

My Answer is Loudest 'Yes', where is the time for Innovation as people are too much worried about compliance to Process..Proving to the management that it is too complex.. lot of work on his plate in the from of too many bug count etc.. 

I have seen my self, we were able to produce 2 US Patents from already existing work since 5 Years.. (this is the state of the company which created Java) by being focused on Self Engineering Excellence rather focused on process and people around me.. 

Process is meant for Consistency (it could be consistent pain or management way of thinking that problem would get solved by any body..).. 

As said by Rajendra V B Raja, I think Creation can't be captured in process, however once we need to have Business around that creation we need to put some process (as this the only way client pays far.. due to Services thinking in products)..

i.e Due to clients paying for process and Services IT can ask for $ by being complaint. There fore Process has become the key to every thing including products development.. However Innovations sticking around process are becoming too difficult..as Management don't know how to project Bug as Evil.. Asking more time do right thing is considered as bigger evil..

Any case.. I wish others to add their views to Lakshman's Question..

> Is that the reason why we are not innovating much here in India?

Edited Tue, Feb 7, 2012 7:42 PM

We embrace best practices through process and system thinking. Looking at process as a mere checklist or compliance activity means that we do not sincerely embrace a process. Am sure you can search for more on the Internet.

Dilip Ittyera is an expert in Innovation and Idea Management. Am sure he is watching this discussion. Dilip, can you provide some pointer on this.

I fully agree with Sreekumar. I partially disagree with him on "You may not require a process to innovate". Some exceptional people with exceptional quality can do certain things without following a process. To democratize certain things, to drive excellence across the organization and to make many people to drive excellence collectively, process is vital.

I have been following the post. Great inputs by @Lakshman, @Raja , @Sreekumar and others.

Thanks @Nagendra for starting it.

My views..(Simple)

Innovation as long it solves the problem. Process - YES..must be followed :)

(Product+Process) Innovation = Made In India Products

** Product Innovation = act of bringing something new to the market

**Process Innovation = new way of making or delivering goods or services

Edited Tue, Feb 7, 2012 10:18 PM

> at process as a mere checklist or compliance activity means that we do not sincerely embrace a process.

It would nice to know, how does majority of Indian IT companies currently adopting process for.. 

May be few Product and Services companies can share their thoughts, if they embrace best practices through process and system thinking to deliver Innovative Products rather than purely Business priority..

Edited Tue, Feb 7, 2012 10:31 PM

"Process" & "Compliance" is not always same :) 

I think Lakshman can give more inputs on this. 

You must be logged in and a member of this Groupsite in order to post a reply to this topic.
To post a reply, contact your group manager(s) Join this Groupsite